The Effect of Red Blood Cells Storage Duration on Biochemical Changes in Pediatric Patients
Is Intraoperative Red Blood Cells Transfusion With Different Storage Duration Has Effect on Some Biochemical Parameters in Pediatric Trauma Patients Need Intraoperative Transfusion?
The aim of the study is to detect if the storage duration of red blood cells has impact on
some biochemical parameters after intra operative transfusion in pediatric trauma patient
- A pretransfusion draw of a few drops of patient venous blood, send for analysis by
i-STAT Portable Clinical Analyser. Samples are processed immediately and provide
laboratory quality results in 2 minutes using the CHEM 8+ i-STAT cartridge for
1. Potassium (K)
2. Ionized Calcium (iCa)
3. Glucose (Glu)
4. Urea Nitrogen (BUN)/Urea
5. Hemoglobin (Hb) and Hematocrit (Hct).
- Concurrently, a few drops of blood will be taken from the unit to be transfused will be
analysed by i-STAT Portable Clinical Analyser for measurement of previous biochemical
- The details of the unit, such as draw date, volume of transfusion, and date of
transfusion, will be recorded. The RBC unit will be delivered to the operative room
from the blood bank in an insulated box.
- The transfusion is then given as clinically indicated at a rate of 50 to 150 mL/h based
on the clinician's orders, the patient's weight, and the patient's clinical situation.
- Volumes will be transfused to children according to the following top-up transfusion
equation: desired Hemoglobin (Hb) (g/dl) - actual Hemoglobin (Hb) (g/dl) x weight (kg)
x 3. (usually 10-20 ml/kg).
- A second patient blood sample will be drawn one hour after the transfusion and will be
analyzed by i-STAT Portable Clinical Analyser.
- Patient information will be recorded for age, weight, sex, and primary diagnosis.
- Demographic and clinical variables will be collected, to include type and quantity of
all blood products and fluids received and medications administered. All surgical
procedures will be documented.
Red Blood Cells Transfusion
RBCS,, Transfusion,, Pediatric, Changes
Abdelrady S Ibrahim, MD, Assiut University
Qu L, Triulzi DJ. Clinical effects of red blood cell storage. Cancer Control. 2015 Jan;22(1):26-37. Review.